Everything goes Auto? First experiences with the Oracle Autoupgrade-Tool - Part 5 - DBA still matters...

As this post is a part of a series of posts regarding Autoupgrade-tool, you might want to start with the first (configuration) or the second post (pre-upgrade analysis).

As every other DBA, I am not error free. Any good administrator is doing things wrong sometimes, this is normal, especially if you do a lot stuff in a very short time and you are very busy.

Well, to be honest, things happened also because I made some mistakes. E.g. at one of my tests (with GRP) I didn't used an administrator command for running the autoupgrade tool in MS Windows. MS Windows was quitting that with an OpenSCManager failed, Access denied error. (Slide 48).
As I tried to use "restore" in the console, Windows again throwed ne the error. What should I do now? I am lost in the middle of nowhere (ok, I could have went back to my VM snapshot, but I wanted to test the tool).
I exited the console (it was warning me that 1 job will stop) (Slide 49) and started the autoupgrade tool again in a administrator command window.

It attached automatically to the old job and I started a restore again. I don't know if there was something still in an undefined state, but first nothing happens.
Starting the "restore" a second time was successful. I have watched the job status saying it's flashing back parallel with the alert.log and after a while it was back on the pre-upgrade state (Slide 50-54).
That's a very robust behaviour, even if the first restore seemed to do nothing (I think it was able to fix a broken state, so the second execution could succeed).

A second error I did was arising while using the "add_after_upgrade_pfile" parameter (Slide 55). I had a stupid spelling mistake in that file. So autoupgrade finished, but the database was not started.
A look at the detailled log file and I have seen that the pfile wasn't copied / changed to spfile due to this error. I then copied the corresponding init.ora to the dbs/database subdirectory, created a spfile out of it and everything was fine. No need to roll back using the GRP...

If you are on MS Windows, one last thing happened while creating the Windows service in the new Oracle Home with oradim. I was lazy and just copied the whole command from the preupgrade.html.
The DIM-00003 error I got doing this is misleading.
There is no missing parameter - you can't specify the spfiles name after the "-spfile" switch (Slide 57).

My personal summary (Slide 58):

Always, always, always download the newest version of the autoupgrade-tool. As it evolves and improves fast, check again often, if there is a new version of it.

Well, "everything automatic" is something relative. You can still run in some hassles (as I did on MS Windows), you maybe try things which are non-production-use and so on - not only at the autoupgrade-tool things can happen, but also at the database level or because you as administrator are doing something wrong (like the most of my examples show). By the way, there was a whole session at the DOAG conference what can happen (from a database perspective) during an upgrade (and how you can find/fix the errors).

The tool is hands free, yes, but personally I would prefer to keep an eye on it while using it in production the first times. As always: If you test your configuration well in your environment and everything works there, then it works also in production! This is, where I used the VM snapshots in my test environments a lot to test as much as I can in a short timeframe.

What I was really impressed about is, how stable and robust a tool is, that is not that long on the market, how good resume and restore are working and, again, how detailled the logs are.

As we do have a lot customers at Switzerland running Windows with (Swiss) German or (Swiss) French language, we need to test the newer versions of the autoupgrade tool. 
Linux environments of our customers are all in english and also don't have the MS Windows service problems, so it's easier for us to use the tool there. If you have more than 1 or 2 databases and these are similiar (especially the environment), it does really make sense to step into using the tool.

Hope you enjoyed the series. I will make some more tests next year. By the way, Mike Dietrich told at his session, that autoupgrade.jar will be the tool for upgrading exadata databases in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be published soon...